Saturday, November 5, 2005

Other Stuff

So, with Libby’s “Not Guilty” plea, it appears that the administration, and the right in general, has sunk its entire nest egg in rope manufacture. Rope that they are using to hang themselves. This gives me some breathing room for other stuff.

Here’s the NK update. I guess he’s retiring. I heard about NK from a co-worker. He’s a big time manager of two of “the greatest actors of their generation” (my quote) as well as some other folks. I asked my co-worker to hook me up and she very graciously did. He spends a lot of time in London so I gave him Constance (I hadn’t finished Sandow or I would have given that to him). He read it, which was very cool, and then he met me and gave me some general feedback. He also gave the contact info for a couple of producers in Britain. I made phone calls and sent emails but nothing came of it. Then I made my mistake. I sent him Sandow without telling him personally. We had discussed the script before I finished it, but I hadn’t gotten his explicit assent to send it over. I told his assistant that I was sending it, but I should have known better. Anyway, that was a couple months ago. I've seen him since then, but he hasn’t mentioned Sandow.

Oh! And I saw him at the theatre one night, and I think he saw me, but I was too chicken to go say “hi.” So, now I hear he’s retiring from management. Should I call and follow up now or what?

The BigEvent at work is looming. Three days. I’m excited. I finally got the script for the program to the Big Time writer who is doing our rewrite. Now if he can get it back in time we’ll be sailing smooth.

My fortune from Empress Pavilion was, “A new work opportunity will avail itself.” What could it be?

And finally some prognostication that will get me thrown one of those secret black site jails... With all the press that the Supreme Court has gotten lately with the death of Chief Rehnquist, Roberts' two nominations, Meirs, and now Alito, the profile of the Court has been raised to a dangerous degree. The Secret Service (or whatever agency performs this function) needs to step up security around the Justices of the Supreme Court. Especially if Alito gets confirmed, the temptation will be too great for potential assassins. The attack could come from either the left or the right, both have plenty of reasons to knock off a Justice. A left-wing nutjob might target Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas (we can only hope – just kidding, ha, ha. You can put that down now…) or even a confirmed Alito to “re-balance” the court. Probably a more likely scenario would be a right-wing nutbar going after Souter (poor David, no respect) or Ginsberg. The reasons are obvious. Can you imagine heading into 2008 with three Bush Supreme Court appointees? (If I disappear in a few days call my congressman!)

One thing to look for with Alito, what are his corporate rulings like? Does he tend to favor corporations over voters or does he side with the people? This will be the silent, but deadly issue of the Roberts Court (Stinky poo!) I’ve heard that Roberts rulings in this area are dismal, tending to favor corporate rights rather than individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment