Saturday, January 9, 2010

I don't read books

That's not true. I do read books. I just don't derive as much pleasure from reading as I once did. When I get a good book, I become completely obsessed with it and I have to read it all in one sitting which means, since I don't get any reading time until after 8PM, I am up until 4AM and then I am vaguely hung over the next day and can't even remember the book. I get one of these books once every three or four months. The rest of the time, I start a book and something about it makes me hate it and I stop it and take it back to the library. I hate not having a book to read, I feel like it is such a waste of my free time not to have something to read but I seem completely incapable of finding something that I can just enjoy over a week. I tried to join a book group last summer to help me develop a better, more casual relationship with books but I got tired of it by the fall.
I do not keep a list as my husband does of the books he reads. Only one book stands out as a truly satisfying read and that is Patricia Highsmith's "The Talented Mr Ripley" a really brilliant character study. Please put that one on your list, darling.

2 comments:

  1. I have managed to complete reading one and 1/2 books since Bug was born. It just isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. Maybe someday when I have nothing else to do but sit poolside, sipping mimosas, I'll enjoy a good read. I saw the movie version, does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself uncomfortable if I don't have something to read. It's the same for all those unhealthy behaviors. If I don't exercise or if I'm not eating well or I'm not writing then I notice it, my mood changes. I haven't exercised since we had snow and I've noticed that, but I haven't done anything about it. I find that if I'm having trouble reading that reading easy books is a good way to prime the pump. I read a bunch of short golf memoirs a while back and it really made me want to read something good (they're golfers, not writers and, boy, can't you tell from their books).

    ReplyDelete