Tuesday, December 1, 2009

church isn't so bad

I know I know, I admit it makes me woozy, the declaring of one's devotion to Jesus when one goes to a Christian church. I don't know why but it does. That being said tho I am willing to give it a another shot. Contrary to your belief I have no designs on the Unitarians. It definitely has the strong community/education/social justice component that I am looking for but the worship does absolutely nothing for me. There is no ritual, no mystery, no mysticism. Unitarians are about the intellectual exploration of faith. Which is fine but it's too much like going to a lecture or a city council meeting. It's all business. The thing is I want the Jesus-y bits, the prayers, the coming together sharing a common faith, the wondering about God and all of God's glorious work. And I have nothing against Jesus really. He was a great teacher. I think it is just the semantics really. The declarativeness of some of the prayers.
Also, this is not just about having the kids go to church. I do want to have someplace to go to, a community to be a part of, something that we can all engage in together and then have questions about and talk about to each other. And I want it to be something that is relevant to us, to our history, to our culture. This is why I am having trouble inserting Buddhism into this slot. I enjoyed going to my mom's Sangha but 1)it is not something that we can all do together and 2) I just can't envision us as a family of Buddhists, it just doesn't fit. I know it works for some people but I can't see how it would work for us.
I can't do the Friends meetings. It is too loosey goosey for me.
There are no churches near us that we want to go to, honey. Bapist? Lutheran? Eastern Orthodox?

What is up with the Muppets these days? First the Bohemian Rhapsody thing which was brilliant and now this

No comments:

Post a Comment